“The Green Will Conservancy is first and foremost an interactive community support organization that is dedicated to the furthering and fostering of 21st century skills development for children and families and for community health education and welfare professionals who provide services to our children and families.”
While the specific skills deemed to be “21st century skills” may be defined, categorized, and determined differently from person to person, place to place, or school to school, the term does reflect a general—if somewhat loose and shifting—consensus. The following list provides a brief illustrative overview of the knowledge, skills, work habits, and character traits commonly associated with 21st century skills:
- Critical thinking, problem solving, reasoning, analysis, interpretation, synthesizing information The online Green Will Institute curriculum for students and for ongoing professional development offers training as well as on-site programming, peer review, and international training oppurtunities in trauma informed care. PTSD
- Research skills and practices, interrogative questioning Weekly peer review and inter-agency consultation supportive of research on the outcomes of EMDR Therapy and program evaluation.
- Creativity, artistry, curiosity, imagination, innovation, personal expression Small group programming and treatment activities supporting the use of a wide range of play, creative arts, and pre-vocational activities
- Perseverance, self-direction, planning, self-discipline, adaptability, initiative The Green Will Youth Leadership Program and Financial Incentive Stipend Program for success as student learners and leaders who are future 21st Century Citizens.
- Oral and written communication, public speaking and presenting, listening Computer literacy and typing skills training. Use of onsite computer lab, small group communications methods, training-using transactional analysis, to encourage them to model skills with peers and community leaders.
- Leadership, teamwork, collaboration, cooperation, facility in using virtual workspaces Interactive participation in the creation of/ ongoing use of the online interactive Green Will Institute learning site.
- Information and communication technology (ITC) literacy, media and internet literacy, data interpretation and analysis, computer programmingUse of the Green Will Computer Lab and student authoring of the Green Will online green curriculum content, pre-post testing evaluations, ongoing.
- Civic, ethical, and social-justice literacyThe Green Will Professional Social work community organization focus. Our hosting of MSW and MA internships focusing on client advocacy, and the having of an enviromental justice focus in our group discussions and activities. Our focus on development of environmental concerns in curriculum.
- Economic and financial literacy, entrepreneurialismStudent receive Leadership Stipends and our programs, encouragement of money management skills and small scale green business development.
- Global awareness, multicultural literacy, humanitarianismThe Green Will on-site demonstration project is centered in and made up of members of one of the most culturally diverse communities on planet earth. The “On The Land” cross- cultural summer leadership program in WNY State, matching Polynesion youth with Native American and Inner City Youth and Elders from Buffalo NY, and N.E. Ohio. Theme ” What does it mean to be a global citizen?”
- Scientific literacy and reasoning, the scientific methodInteragency clinical peer review, research consultation, and advocacy, program evaluation consultation services provided to individual professionals and organizations. Advocacy for the use of standardized tools for outcome measures in human and organizational growth and development.
- Environmental and conservation literacy, ecosystems understandingThe Green Will Online Green Curriculum in Backyard Gardening, water and waste management, self sufficiency and sustainability and it’s ecological focus in general .
- Health and wellness literacy, including nutrition, diet, exercise, and public health and safetyThe Green Will Health and Mental Health on-site and online institute programming, EMDR, Physical Fitness and Yoga, growing and preparing meals from back yard gardening.
Hidden curriculum (2014, August 26). In S. Abbott (Ed.), The glossary of education reform. Retrieved from http://edglossary.org/hidden-curriculum